Thursday 3 October 2013

Huh?!

In the equestrian world, there are many diverse terms. All equipment has it's own 'technical' name, so before you get lost in my blog and don't know what I'm talking about, here are a few definitions that will make you an equestrian pro in no time!

The Equipment:
1. Bit- The bit is the metal bar that goes in the horse's mouth, and is connected to the bridal
2. Bridal- A bridal is the head piece the bit is connected to, and goes over the horse's ears
3. Reins- The reins are the 'steering wheel' of the horse, they are what the rider uses to steer
4. Saddle pad- The saddle pad is essentially a thick blanket that sits under the saddle, to avoid the saddle pinching the horse
5. Saddle- The saddle is the seat the rider sits in when riding
6. Stirrups- Where the rider places their feet when riding; they are connected to both sides of the saddle
7. Girth or Cinch- The belt that goes around the horses 'armpits' to hold the saddle into place
8. Halter- The 'collar' for horses
9. Lead line or Lead rope- The 'leash' for horses


Some Anatomy:
1. Muzzle- The horse's face
2. Crest- The neck of the horse
3. The barrel- the horse's middle body
4. Mane- The horse's (usually long) hair on it's crest
5. Withers- The part of the horse that sits at the end of the mane, it's like a human shoulder blade
6. Dock- The part just above the horse's tail
7. Fetlock- a part of the leg just above the hooves
8. Hooves- The horse's feet

4 comments:

  1. Not speaking of little india but in general, do you know how to ride a horse and if you do is it hard? Horse riding is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All these terms bring back so many memories for me. I used to go to my uncle's farm and ride their horse. Spider was the only horse I wasn't afraid of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zulfie, yes I ride, I have been riding for years now!
    Shyanna, they're not so scary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your definitions! I have to say I definitely feel like I am an equestrian pro now!

    ReplyDelete