Thursday 26 September 2013

Little Orphan Indie

"Monday February 4th 2013, Today I went to St Jacobs for lunch with friends.... I came home with a pony." I don't have a diary, but if I did, that would probably have been the entry on that date 7 months ago. Horses have always been a major part of my life growing up. It all started when I was a little kid and would watch old westerns with my Grandpa when he would babysit me; I became fascinated with the idea of being a cowboy and would talk about horses 24/7, like nothing else even mattered. As the obsession continued, I started helping physically disabled kids learn how to ride everyday after school, in trade for being able to ride the facilitator's horses. I had been around horses all my life, but I never thought I would own one, especially by bidding randomly on one at an auction. I saw the filly I bought, only 5 minutes before I bought her. She was malnourished and came all the way from Alberta on an transport truck, along with about 25 other horses from a farm that impregnated horses over and over again, to use their urine for birth control medication. Because 25 horses requires a LOT of money, the owner was forced to sell all of their livestock, and here is where they came. When I first bought her, my filly was 450 pounds and only 7 months old, barely old enough to be weened away from her mother. I brought her back to the barn I've always rode at and decided to name her India, because at the time, the white patch on her face, looked like the shape of India. Only looking at how cute she was, I had no idea raising a baby horse would be so much work.....

5 comments:

  1. I think this is such a cool story!! An event like that is probably something lots of girls have dreamed about as a kid, having their very own horse. And the fact that you bought her yourself must feel very rewarding! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a rock star Jade! I am so glad you are in my Blog group so that I can keep reading updates about my favourite orphaned pony. It is going to be very cool to see how she progresses from now to the end of the semester!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really hate to say this, but I am horrified of horses! They are big and scary and they send me running to the hills. Who knows, this pony might change my mind. Anyways, I can't wait to hear more about this little creature.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks guys! She is so friendly, don't be afraid Shyanna!

    ReplyDelete